Charlton Mill Covered Bridge

The Charlton Mill Covered Bridge was originally built by Henry Hebble in 1883. This bridge was a classic Howe through truss design, and the Charlton Mill structure was quite long, with 12 truss panels and a total length of 128 feet. The bridge spans Massies Creek north of Xenia in Greene County, Ohio.

The approach to the bridge

Looking down the 120 foot long span

View of Massies Creek






Time took its toll on the original bridge constructed by Henry Hebble. An unfortunate mistake by a dump truck driver in 1969 resulted in a 20 ton load of gravel crashing through the deck and depositing the truck in the creek below. That took some serious repair.

Photo by Bill Caswell in 2009 before bridge was razed, note brace/top chord connection and wood deck runners

Photo for comparison of the construction details, again note brace/top chord connection and asphalt deck

Close look at stringers for the exterior siding and bottom chord details

Roof framing details












Finally the decision was made in 2013 that the condition of the bridge was beyond repair. Thus the structure was razed, and a new replacement bridge was constructed on the same site.  The truss design remains faithful to the original Howe through truss, all 12 panels of it. Some metal attachment accessories are used to attach the angle braces to the top and bottom chords, and modern nailing plates are used in the roof rafter systems. And a thin asphalt deck overlay?  Seriously? There are already places where this overlay is peeling up.

The Forsythe Covered Bridge, aka Forsythe Mill Bridge

We found yet another one of those magnificent 1880’s covered bridges, this one again in Rush County, Indiana. The Forsythe Bridge, also known as the Forsythe Mill Bridge spans Big Flatrock River in the southeast corner of the county. This bridge was built by E. L. Kennedy bridge building company. Emmet Kennedy was one of the sons of Archibald M Kennedy, premier bridge builder from Rush County.

The Forsythe Bridge over Big Flatrock River

A long view of the Burr- Arch truss system

A look outside over the river below






We spotted Maj shooting the video of the river and the bridge

This bridge is 196 feet long, as noted designed with the typical Burr-Arch truss system. This bridge was one of six bridges that all were registered on the US National Registry of Historic Places. All six of the bridges were constructed by the Kennedy family, and were registered at the same time in 1983.